Pleasant Grove Elementary School  Logo
After School Care Attendance Change of Address/Phone Dress Code Food Services Lost and Found Registration School History School Hours Student Medications Supply List Transportation
Administration
Kindergarten First Grade Second Grade Third Grade Fourth Grade Fifth Grade ESE Special Areas Teacher of the Year
Administration Staff Cafeteria Clinic Custodial Support
Teacher Resources Student Resources Parent Resources
Positive Behavior Support (PBS)
PTA

School History

Before the year 1900, Pleasant Grove School was conducting classes for students in grades one through eight in a small red frame building near the present campus.


During the 1920's, a four room white frame building was constructed to serve a larger number of students. In the late 1920's to 1935, this building provided space for approximately 125 to 150 students with a faculty of five teachers.

A new addition consisting of two large classrooms (one with a stage), and two new rest rooms was added which made more space available for the increase in number of students and two classroom teachers.


During the early 1940's, the number of students increased rapidly due to increased World War II efforts on the nearby Pensacola Naval Air Station Base. No money was available for new schools or additions in the Pensacola area. The seven room white frame building was destroyed, by fire, the day before Thanksgiving 1944.


The officials at Naval Air Station were very generous, and gave Pleasant Grove School permission to use some vacant army barracks for classrooms until the end of the school year in June.


Peace was declared to end the War during the Summer of 1945. In September of 1945, some large classrooms were vacant in the (then) County Vocational School on West Garden Street. All of the Pleasant Grove students [with three sections of fifth graders and one section of sixth graders] from Turner-Lee Day School in Warrington were transported to the Vocational Building on Garden Street. These facilities were used until 1949, when a new building in Pleasant Grove, and one in Warrington, made it possible for school personnel of both schools to move back to their own community.


The new building for students of Pleasant Grove provided space for eight classrooms, a small space for the principal and secretary, a small library, cafeteria, and restroom facilities. In 1953, a new addition consisting of two large classrooms with facilities for primary grades was constructed. The enrollment continued to increase and the eighth graders were transferred to Warrington Middle School.

During the school year 1960-1961, a new wing, consisting of three classrooms with rest room facilities, kitchen and cafeteria with stage and store rooms (for books and playground equipment) was constructed. The old cafeteria was renovated for a new Media Center.


During the next few years, it was necessary to transfer sixth and seventh graders to Warrington Middle School. A few years after that, it was necessary to add some portable classrooms to the school campus to provide space for all students in the school. During the 1980's and 1990's, due to large real estate development of many new homes in Pleasant Grove and nearby communities, a new large elementary school was built in the community area of Gulf Beach.

In 1990-1991, a new wing was built for Pleasant Grove. The new wing consisted of classrooms with facilities for Pre-K, Kindergarten, First and Second grades. At the same time, the administrative space and cafeteria were renovated to provide space for needed personnel.


In 1999-2000, another new segment was added to the school, made up of 7 classrooms, with office/work spaces for the teachers. A covered play area was attached to the structure to provide space for more outside activities.

In 2006-2007 we renovated our main office, media center, guidance office, clinic, and second grade classrooms.

All the while, small and large gardening projects have been going on all over the campus. We've added a gazebo, flowering shrubs and trees, and many small garden areas. Most of the gardens are taken care of by groups of children, with the main mowing and trimming being done by dedicated volunteers.

Our campus is a lovely and truly PLEASANT place to be!